Finally, the day came this week when I finished Ruby's vintage sheet quilt. I decided in the end to save my pennies and quilt it myself. It was just that it was so big, I didn't know where to start. I have had everything I needed for the quilt for ages, but my Dad had nearly finished making Ruby's bed (will post it soon, its amazing) so that gave me a good kick up them bum to finish it.
In the end I quilted it on the diagonal through each square. I also ironed, pinned then quilted in small batches so it wouldn't pucker too much. This took extra time, but worth it I think.
I was quite impressed with how I managed to keep most of the lines pretty straight.
It fits her bed perfectly. I looked up the sizing to make sure it fitted well, and it does. I don't feel as scared now to make another big quilt, maybe when the next one turns 2, so in 2 years time then.
We had to lie on the quilt.....
..and we pose for all photo's now too.
The backing I found in an op-shop on the way back from Melbourne. I asked Ruby to choose which one she wanted as the back, and this is what she wanted so the other one I used as the binding.
All done, it is lovely finishing projects that you look at every day and know you need to do. Plus for me I don't know how much sewing I will get done with a new bub.
Now to finish the crochet blanket I started a year ago.
Em xx ♥♥