Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Play Dough 101

I thought I would do a post on Play Dough. After years of making at pre school I am now making it at home. If you think making it yourself is too hard and messy read on, it really isn't and it's much cheaper than the store bought variety. It seriously took me 5 to 10 Min's max.

Ingredients
2 cups plain flour
4tbs Cream of tartar
2tbs cooking oil (I only have olive oil and it works fine)
1 cup salt
2 cups water (boiling water, read on)
food colouring

Now the back of the box says cook on a medium heat, but who has the time or wants the mess on their good cook wear. I use boiling water and mix it in a bowl (wear gloves so we don't burn your hands). For the mix I have made I only used half the recipe as I only have Ruby and don't need loads. It makes a fair amount with the full mixture.

 I made it with Ruby
 I think the red on red probably wasn't a good idea for the photo's.
 This is with the boiling water in and mixing, steaming play dough.
 Mix it for a while and when you think it is looking congealed, take it out and knead on a floured surface.
 This is it just taken out without being kneaded, it is lovely and warm great to make in winter.
 All ready to play with now.
I gave Ruby what I had which was muffin tins, patty pans, rolling pin, heart cutter and big button's. But this is where you can get really creative.
Use Paddle pop sticks, glitter (lots looks amazing), match sticks, animals anything really.
I have made before the mix without colour in it. When I was kneading it I made 4 balls and mixed colours in then and made 4 colours, it looks great until it gets all mixed together to a khaki colour. You could try using 2 primary colours so when it gets mixed together it makes a secondary colour. This is great for learning colours also.

So there you have it, it wasn't so hard and all I have to clean is a bowl and spoon and a cup. Have a go, if you look after it it lasts really well. I always knead it back into a ball and put it in an air tight container or bag. It can be stored in the fridge or just leave it out, it still lasts well.

Em xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...